I’ve been writing so much elsewhere that I’ve been neglecting this blog, mostly because I don’t think anyone reads it.
What I’ve been up to recently:
- Save North Penn High School campaign. Southern Tioga School District administration is proposing to shut down North Penn, ship the kids in grades 9-12 to Liberty High School and Mansfield High School, and turn the elementary school into a kindergarten-through-eighth grade facility. Obviously, I’m opposed to this.
- I did some research on effects of school consolidation/closing on students and communities and on the state regulations about school facilities construction. (The district administration is not providing the school board with sufficient information to make a huge, permanent decision like this.)
- I created an ad for the Penny Saver (weekly classified ad rag based in Mansfield, Pa.). PDF here.
- I created and update the FaceBook fan page “Save North Penn High School!.” I update the NPHS alumni myspace but I think the FB page is more valuable.
- I created the specs for a letter-writing machine that my brother Josh implemented.
- I helped Jill Nickerson write a speech and handout for the November school board meeting.
- I helped Jill draft a letter for Blossburg Borough Council to send to the school board.
- I wrote a letter to the editor of the Williamsport Sun Gazette in response to an article about the November school board meeting.
- I wrote a letter for Blossburg Improvement Association to send to the school board. PDF here.
- I’m learning more about hands-on community organizing. I need this book: Tools for Radical Democracy, if anyone would like to buy it for me. (To get supersaver shipping at Amazon, you could add in Saul Alinsky’s Rules for Radicals).
- I have two real clients through the University at Buffalo Law School Community Economic Development Clinic. I’m doing some nice stuff with them.
- I’m treasurer of the Alternative Dispute Resolution group at UB Law. We host a mediation (negotiation, really) competition each year – it’s this Saturday. We also coordinate and subsidize a 30-hour basic mediation training in January, which I took last year.
- I’m a facilitator with the Alternatives to Violence Project.
- I’m still working with Westminster Economic Development Initiative, currently focusing on the West Side Bazaar, a retail incubator project. Bonnie Smith and I are also working on developing a relationship with a local credit union to create a microbusiness lending program using the Small Business Administration’s Micro-Loan Program. There’s a real need for microbusiness lending in Buffalo. The two current SBA lenders in Erie County are not currently lending anything.
- I’m still working with Blossburg V.I.B.E. We should be publishing our annual newsletter/business directory/place mat soon.
- I updated my resume to apply for an externship with the IRS. I have no expectation of getting the externship because they favor third-year students and only take three. Maybe next year after I’ve taken Taxation of Individual Income I and II, Exempt Organizations, State & Local Taxation…
- I have a new logo/business cards and a gorgeous brochure. (Yes, I now desperately need to update this website. Maybe January.) Thanks, Krysta!
- AND I’m still working with clients. I have a few in Buffalo and many in Blossburg. I’m scheduling stuff for January. If you need QuickBooks installation, setup or tutoring, let’s schedule it now!
To comment or contact me, email me at heidi (at) ridgerunnerconsulting.com.
One more link – Liz Berkowitz of Wild Asaph Outfitters keeps a blog about natural gas drilling issues. This is important stuff that’s going to affect Tioga County for a long time – probably as significantly as the coal mining era of the 1850s to 1980s.